album review: mariah carey - mariah carey
Mariah's self-titled debut, Mariah Carey, whooshed her into the charts, kickstarting her career as one of the most successful solo artists of the 90s. This album is so underlooked! Truly one of my favorites from Mariah. While lacking some of the smoother R&B elements in her proceeding albums, I feel like the purpose of this one was to solidify herself as a strong singer. Then, after proving that, she moved more into the artistic elements of things. My absolute favorite track on here is "Prisoner." It has that super synthy late 80s sound, and I love the rapping Mariah does alongside her strong vocals. Never understood why she doesn't like this song! Following "Prisoner," my next favorite would have to be "Alone In Love," a mellow song detailing the feelings of heartbreak. It reminds me a bit of Janet Jackson's "Lonely," which is one of the best songs I've ever heard. I love how smooth it is. Honestly, I don't have a least favorite song on this album. Nothing that I dislike. Now, onto the tracks!
track 1 - vision of love (9.5/10)
Love it! Super gospel-ish, and reminds me of my days as a child in those cold church pews. I love the vocal layering and the gospel element that the background singers add.
track 2 - there's got to be a way (10/10)
Another synthy 80s sounding track, you all knew I'd love this one! Mariah's vocals are super strong here, I can see why people continue to rave about her vocal performance on this album.
track 3 - i don't wanna cry (9/10)
Usually not a fan of slower songs, but I love this one, especially the latin element that the guitar adds. One of Mariah's best vocal performances on this album. The background vocals are amazing on this track as well.
track 4 - someday (9.5/10)
A great song to dance to! It's cute.
track 5 - vanishing (4/10)
Meh, a little boring to me. Love the piano though.
track 6 - all in your mind (7/10)
I like this one! It has a funk element to it that stands out from the rest of the tracks on this album, but not my favorite. Reminds me a bit of track 3.
track 7 - alone in love (10/10)
Another one of my favorites. Nothing else to say, it's just so good!
track 8 - you need me (8.5/10)
I like the rock thing going on in this song! I wonder if this was ever a part of her scrapped alternative album.
track 9 - sent from up above (6.5/10)
Meh. Doesn't really stand out from anything else on the album. Not bad.
track 10 - prisoner (100/10)
My favorite song on this album. So 1990. Love the rap element!
track 11 - love takes time (10/10)
Probably the most popular track off the album, and I know why!